Rescue rules queries

Fionn

Rescue rules queries

Post by Fionn »

The modified rules for rescuing a prisoner are very sensible, but when you look carefully the wording is unclear in a few places, probably where they differ from the escape rules.

"STR and rank mods apply as for escapes": does this apply to the rescuers as well? STR makes sense, but it does not seem right that a senior officer helping the rescue actually makes it harder (unless you hold the NCOs view of all senior officers :D )

"There is an additional -1 mod if the prisoners had planned their own escape that turn"; meaning that week or that month?

"The outcome is taken from the Rescue table and is independent for each rescuer and prisoner"; presumably this means that there is one outcome roll per prisoner but everyone present makes a separate death roll?

"[T]here are no mods to the death roll" but "The Modifier for highest Battle is also used on the death rolls rolled for each individual taking part."??
Fionn the dagger, Hundred-Thane and scholar.
Puckohue
GM

Re: Rescue rules queries

Post by Puckohue »

Fionn wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:56 pm "STR and rank mods apply as for escapes": does this apply to the rescuers as well? STR makes sense, but it does not seem right that a senior officer helping the rescue actually makes it harder (unless you hold the NCOs view of all senior officers :D )
The rank modifier is from the prisoner only. A Warlord+ is harder to rescue.
Fionn wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:56 pm "There is an additional -1 mod if the prisoners had planned their own escape that turn"; meaning that week or that month?
I’ve corrected this: week, it is.

It might be a good idea to plan this ahead. And not let the enemy know…
Fionn wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:56 pm "The outcome is taken from the Rescue table and is independent for each rescuer and prisoner"; presumably this means that there is one outcome roll per prisoner but everyone present makes a separate death roll?
I agree the wording is confusing and will clarify asap. There is one outcome roll made for every group of prisoners, and everyone involved rolls an individual death roll.
Fionn wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:56 pm "[T]here are no mods to the death roll" but "The Modifier for highest Battle is also used on the death rolls rolled for each individual taking part."??
This wad a mistakenly added section to the rules. I’ve deleted it. There are no modifiers to the death roll.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Since I think there will be the first rescue attempt this turn (but don't tell the Lunar Empire!), two more minor queries;

Does STR in rescuers count, or just prisoners?

And If a rescuer rolls exactly the death roll, is that a roll on the table, or automatic capture as it was before and the rules still say it is? I think it should be the latter, though obviously not where my characters are concerned :D .
Fionn the dagger, Hundred-Thane and scholar.
Puckohue
GM

Post by Puckohue »

Fionn wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:10 pm Does STR in rescuers count, or just prisoners?
I agree it's fuzzy, but: a "group" can contain either prisoners OR rescuers.
Fionn wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:10 pm And If a rescuer rolls exactly the death roll, is that a roll on the table, or automatic capture as it was before and the rules still say it is? I think it should be the latter, though obviously not where my characters are concerned :D .
Yes, still captured. I've deleted "as usual" to avoid confusion.