A letter to Yealla Kalolasdaughter

General in character posts
Erik

A letter to Yealla Kalolasdaughter

Post by Erik »

My darling Yealla,
I have just come off duty and I am writing this before turning in for some much needed sleep. We have been in battle and, although our army is victorious, Mularik’s Company and the Guards Brigade have fared badly. Alas, our War chief, Heortast Derdonson, was too eager to meet the foe and led the Brigade straight into the heart of the enemy. The Lunars concentrated all their force upon us and, though we held them for as long as we could, eventually we were forced through heavy losses to retire from the field. Our sacrifice was not all in vain, as the enemy clamoured to fight us they neglected their flanks and the Heavy Brigade and Cavalry Brigade drove the enemy back in defeat. Our War chief died gallantly, alas his brigade thane, Rastarg Dushison of our tribe also fell defending him. A sad loss to the Colymar tribe. I do not know who will replace them.
We have lost many of our junior officers and men, though Rufus, Ivarenna and myself are unscathed, thanks be to Orlanth. Rufus and Ivarenna have been both commended for their great bravery. Rufus was offered a Warchief’s rank but declined, so as to stay with the regiment, and Ivarenna would have been promoted to Hundred Thane had she had a higher social standing. She is worthy of the post and will surely climb the social ladder swiftly once back in Boldhome. I am raised to the post of Lt. Warlord and I will do my utmost in the next months to prove myself worthy.
Our ranks are thinned, and it makes my blood boil to think that, had our regimental healer not shown himself such a coward, some of them could have been saved. Well, the wretch will be made to pay for his crimes once we return to the city. He has blood upon his hands, and he will answer for it.
But to more pleasant thoughts, I look forward to returning to you and the wonderful home, the Queen’s Gift. I thank you for looking after it in my absence. I shall write again when I may, and I long to see another letter from you with news from the city.
With all of my love,
Your Erik