Rules Questions

An OOC part of the forum. IC posts will be deleted.
Ivarenna

Visiting an Inn and Toadying

Post by Ivarenna »

Two questions:-

1) When two characters visit an inn is toadying automatic or does it need to be specified in the orders? In other words if my character (Ondureen, CHA 4) visits the Red Beaver with Erienestra (CHA 3) will Erienestra automatically toady to me so that we each receive 1 CP?

2) If two characters of equal charisma visit an inn can they both toady to and receive a toady from the other? For example if Ondureen visits the Red Beaver with Jarrek (CHA 4) can we both receive 1 CP (since if you toady to someone of equal CHA they receive a point)?

thanks
Baroness Ivarenna Hainasdaughter of the Balmyr
Aide to Goldgotti the City Treasurer
Assistant Rune Lord of Orlanth
Hundred-thane, Third Battalion, Mularik's Company
Puckohue
GM

Re: Rules Questions

Post by Puckohue »

I've made clarifications in the rules document on toadying (and invitations/parties):
When two characters visit an inn is toadying automatic or does it need to be specified in the orders?
Toadying is not automatic. It must be ordered by both characters.

One exception is when one character is a host and the other their guest. In this case the guest automatically toadies to the host.
If two characters of equal charisma visit an inn can they both toady to and receive a toady from the other?
No. Characters may either toady to a character, or allow characters to toady to them, but not both in the same week.

Again, an exception is if one character is a host and the other their guest. When characters attend parties hosted by those of lower or equal CHA no toadying takes place between them but the guest gains 1 CP provided the host's CHA is no more than 3 CHA lower than their own. The host gains 1 CP.
Puckohue
GM

Post by Puckohue »

Please note that "Let's meet at our inn in week 1" is not an invitation to a party.

It does, however, set the scene for possible toadying. But remember that a character can only toady (to one character) OR be toadied to (by one or several characters) in the same week.
Erinestra

Post by Erinestra »

Puckohue wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:56 am
Afur wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:27 pm
Puckohue wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:31 pm
You can repay it gradually. But you can only have one loan at a time. If you borrow more before the due date, the sum (plus interest) will be added to your current loan with the same due date.
Ouch - is this clear in rules - I'm too used to more standard multiple-loans games
No, and it's not important to me. I'll edit the rules again to allow multiple loans.
I, with a certain amount of awlf interest :-), would point out that the original rules that only allowing one loan from the moneylenders would encourage loans amongst the players.
Erinestra Harvanasdaughter
Third daughter of a Free Carl of the Locaem tribe
Assistant Rune Lord of Issaries
Lay member of Eurmal
Owner of Erinestra's Emporium Extraordinaire
Charisma: 12
Puckohue
GM

Post by Puckohue »

Erinestra wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:18 pm the original rules that only allowing one loan from the moneylenders would encourage loans amongst the players.
You're right, of course.

But the moneylenders have a limit (CHAx100), and player characters can outbid the moneylenders with a lower interest rate.

And then there's the question of the consequences of not paying back the loan on time. The moneylenders will have you join your Tribal Levy. A player character will have to win a vote in order to have cause for duel.

Rules on loans between player characters and rules on cause for duel updated and clarified.
Ivarenna

Post by Ivarenna »

Puckohue wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:47 am Please note that "Let's meet at our inn in week 1" is not an invitation to a party.

It does, however, set the scene for possible toadying. But remember that a character can only toady (to one character) OR be toadied to (by one or several characters) in the same week.
thanks. The new rules are very clear now.
Baroness Ivarenna Hainasdaughter of the Balmyr
Aide to Goldgotti the City Treasurer
Assistant Rune Lord of Orlanth
Hundred-thane, Third Battalion, Mularik's Company
Afur

Post by Afur »

I note one of the possible lovers is a member of Humakt cult. Is he treated normally but not count for Intimate Companionship and Pregnancy?
Afur Brekalisson
First son of a Thane of the Colymar tribe
Warlord of the Colymar Cavalry
Assistant Rune-Lord of Ernalda, the Earth Mother
Initiate, Cult of Orlanth
Charisma: 14
Puckohue
GM

Post by Puckohue »

Afur wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:13 pm I note one of the possible lovers is a member of Humakt cult. Is he treated normally but not count for Intimate Companionship and Pregnancy?
Correct.
Erinestra

Post by Erinestra »

I have just realised I may have been making an invalid assumption. For Issaries I assumed that "minding the shop" i.e. spending a week trading at the shop, counted as cult duties, but as my collar was "felt" last turn for not doing cult duties after a week trading I am guessing I am wrong. I then checked and the rules refer only to duties for initiates, so are the duties for lay members elsewhere? Reading the initiates' duties section it only gives one example: participating in ceremonies. So I am a bit confused about what I am obligated to do and what countts. Any chance of a summary for this bear of very little brain?
Erinestra Harvanasdaughter
Third daughter of a Free Carl of the Locaem tribe
Assistant Rune Lord of Issaries
Lay member of Eurmal
Owner of Erinestra's Emporium Extraordinaire
Charisma: 12
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Perhaps a fellow Issarian can assist , while the GM is working on improvements and next turn (I hope ;) ). Mandatory Ceremonies (at the end of the Cults section) says that every cult member has to attend one ceremony in the holy season, which for Issaries is Spring. (Thus your interception when you wanted to spend the last week of Spring partying). You also have to attend one ceremony during Sacred Time, but since only cult-related orders are allowed that month, this is not so difficult.

The two weeks per month for initiates (and one for god-talkers) are a separate rule. I can see nothing that says keeping shop counts, but you could always ask for time off, and hope for a favourable dieroll mod since this is a Trade cult.
Fionn the dagger, soldier (leader Free Philosophers) and scholar (Loremaster).