Merchant Shops

Lavi

Merchant Shops

Post by Lavi »

I'm trying to get to grips with the Merchant Shop rules. Making money from them seems very dependant on having higher Charisma types spending money there. What is the benefit to the higher ranked PC to do so? If it is so tricky to earn a decent income from shops, why do it?
Lavi Sharpspear of the Locaem tribe.
Looking for options.
Lay member of Lhankor Mhy.
Charisma 4.
Afur

Re: Merchant Shops

Post by Afur »

As per the Toady table they gain 1 CP as long as they are not more than 3 Cha above.

Options for earning money are limited. Loot is the biggest risk/reward.
Afur Brekalisson
First son of a Thane of the Colymar tribe
Warlord of the Colymar Cavalry
God-Talker of Ernalda, the Earth Mother
Lay Member, Cult of Orlanth
Charisma: 13
Erinestra

Post by Erinestra »

Correct. I have gone down the shop route because I always play an Issaries merchant in Runequest 8-) Sadly I don't think that's the way to "win" this particular game but it's entertaining trying to puzzle it out. Absolutely nobody has spent money at my shop (as far as I can tell) so don't expect to earn much CP that way. Also unless you spend all your time minding the shop it generally just throws off a small amount of surplus, so not exactly a great way to earn money either. I'm not complaining, I've enjoyed myself so far, but this is a game about duelling and warfare, if you play it differently expect it to be hard work!
Erinestra Harvanasdaughter
Third daughter of a Free Carl of the Locaem tribe
Assistant Rune Lord of Issaries
Lay member of Eurmal
Owner of Erinestra's Emporium Extraordinaire
Charisma: 12
Puckohue
GM

Post by Puckohue »

Erinestra wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:24 pm Absolutely nobody has spent money at my shop
That's not true.
Erinestra

Post by Erinestra »

Puckohue wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:29 pm
Erinestra wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:24 pm Absolutely nobody has spent money at my shop
That's not true.
Ah! In that case I am blissfully unaware of who has, what a terrible shopkeeper I am! I'll have to go away and find out who did so I can fawn over them annoyingly...

That would also explain the 2CP I enred from the shop! was wondering about that.
Lay member of Eurmal
Puckohue
GM

Post by Puckohue »

Erinestra wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:32 pm unaware of who has
Maybe that should be public?
Broar

Post by Broar »

Erinestra wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:24 pm Correct. I have gone down the shop route because I always play an Issaries merchant in Runequest 8-) Sadly I don't think that's the way to "win" this particular game but it's entertaining trying to puzzle it out. Absolutely nobody has spent money at my shop (as far as I can tell) so don't expect to earn much CP that way. Also unless you spend all your time minding the shop it generally just throws off a small amount of surplus, so not exactly a great way to earn money either. I'm not complaining, I've enjoyed myself so far, but this is a game about duelling and warfare, if you play it differently expect it to be hard work!
Hey I spent money at your shop last month, lots of it in fact!! I got some new clothes, a super hat and a fake beard....if you hadn't noticed maybe I shouldn't have paid..doh!
Broar Hofarson (aka Broar Broarson)
A God, Divine Head of Cult Broar the Benevolent
King of the Broos
Past Malani Tribe member (Now Tribe Broar)
Aide to that Dinacoli woman
Orlanth Initiate
Cha 10
Erinestra

Post by Erinestra »

Puckohue wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:54 pm
Erinestra wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:32 pm unaware of who has
Maybe that should be public?
That would be good! I actually want to try and do nice things back to anyone who does!
Lay member of Eurmal
Erinestra

Post by Erinestra »

Broar wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:09 pm
Erinestra wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:24 pm Correct. I have gone down the shop route because I always play an Issaries merchant in Runequest 8-) Sadly I don't think that's the way to "win" this particular game but it's entertaining trying to puzzle it out. Absolutely nobody has spent money at my shop (as far as I can tell) so don't expect to earn much CP that way. Also unless you spend all your time minding the shop it generally just throws off a small amount of surplus, so not exactly a great way to earn money either. I'm not complaining, I've enjoyed myself so far, but this is a game about duelling and warfare, if you play it differently expect it to be hard work!
Hey I spent money at your shop last month, lots of it in fact!! I got some new clothes, a super hat and a fake beard....if you hadn't noticed maybe I shouldn't have paid..doh!
I have reprimanded my shop assistant who will now keep careful note of who spends money at the shop and we are looking into a suitable reward scheme! In the meantime would Broar be interested in attending a party?
Lay member of Eurmal
grumbold99

Post by grumbold99 »

Grumbold has been urged by his mother to be a good Locaem boy, venture to Boldhome and join the cult of Issaries and open a shop, like generations of his ancestors before him. Particuarly considering it looks like a strong gust of wind could blow him over, so earning fame and fortune at the frontier seems unlikely.

He notes that while shops are inherently unprofitable if nobody spends any money in them, a curious thing happens if the shopkeepers nip round the corner to buy trinkets and comestibles from one another. The natural flow of currency seems to almost miraculously generate profits for everyone involved.

Consider our esteemed Treasurer, Goldgotti. His huge wealth doubtlessly derives from being the head of his enormous extended family, all proud shopheepers.
Grumbold Rahlefson of the Locaem

Scrawny tow-headed beanpole of a lad; usually complaining about the cold, the damp, the pollen or the heat.
Proprietor of Silks and Sapphires. Conspicuously buy your apparel here!
Hundred-Thane of the Royal Foot Guard.