Magic, Iron Armor and Weapons

General in character posts
Quatlu

Magic, Iron Armor and Weapons

Post by Quatlu »

In the interim before orders are submitted, I wanted to ask about the Gloranthan issue of the in-game use of magic by characters. Is this built into the game, and is it a factor for characters as their power advances? It would certainly provide a reason to increase one's Power score. How does it factor into the game? Are magic items/crystals/runes something that can be purchased or taken as booty? I can see a successful line of merchandise at Erinestra's... My battle axe from her Axe Emporium has certainly proven itself of keen value at the Front.

Also, since several players are slowly approaching the levels of Rune Lord and Rune Priest, are iron armor and weapons, and their acquisition, a consideration for characters? Are they awarded by one's cult, taken in battle, or won in a hero quest, or...?
Quatlu Carasilson
Warlord
Royal Foot Guards Regiment
Assistant Rune Lord of Orlanth
Aide to Eorl Jenga Aeensdaughter
Colymar Tribe
Quatlu

Re: Magic, Iron Armor and Weapons

Post by Quatlu »

Judging by the lack of responses and/or comments to this pre-orders query, I presume that the answer is that it is a topic that is either already factored into the game or that it simply doesn't matter in this venue. I humbly withdraw the question.
Quatlu Carasilson
Warlord
Colymar Tribe
grumbold99

Post by grumbold99 »

I was interested but didn't feel suitably versed in RQ lore to comment.

It may be an area of the rules that haven't been adapted yet, or just be one invisible factor in why stats, death rolls, MiB's etc get better as you train and rise up the ranks.
Grumbold Rahlefson of the Locaem

Scrawny tow-headed beanpole of a lad; usually complaining about the cold, the damp, the pollen or the heat.
Proprietor of Silks and Sapphires. Conspicuously buy your apparel here!
Hundred-Thane of the Royal Foot Guard.
Erik

Post by Erik »

It is certainly an interesting topic, but my memories on matters Glorantha are very rusty, so it's probably better for others more knowledgeable to make suggestions. I do like the idea of Rune Lords having access to better (iron) weapons, I tend to think of Runequest heroes being similar to those in Homer, towering over the lesser mortals.
Erinestra

Post by Erinestra »

Magic etc is so integrated into Glorantha I had just assumed it was "built" into the rules. If you are rune level you just have all that magic, iron etc. and so separate rules aren't really needed. But what do I know.
Erinestra Harvanasdaughter
Third daughter of a Free Carl of the Locaem tribe
Assistant Rune Lord of Issaries
Lay member of Eurmal
Owner of Erinestra's Emporium Extraordinaire
Charisma: 12
Quatlu

Post by Quatlu »

Thanks for the comments, folks... they are much appreciated. I remember playing Rune Quest back after it was first released, and as a Sable Rider and an Initiate of Daka Fal, my big goal was to become a Rune Lord and gain the use of Rune Magic as well as the Iron Armor and Weapons reserved solely for Rune Lords, Rune Priests. These august personages were more powerful because of the magic and iron they could wield, so it was a threshold for all players to aspire to in-game. Glad they are already incorporated into the Boldhome Heroes game.
Quatlu Carasilson
Warlord
Colymar Tribe
Puckohue
GM

Post by Puckohue »

I just don't have the time to come up with any rules on this at the moment. Next on my list are the rules on leaving a cult.

If there is a well-discussed suggestion I'd be happy to consider it.
Ivarenna

Post by Ivarenna »

Sacrificing Power for Rune Magic could be cool.

That should be available only to initiates or above.

Rune Magic is renewed once each season (3 turns) on cult holy days.

Could be cult specific:-

Babeester Gor: Axe Trance
Orlanth: Lightning, Shield
Humakt: Sword Trance, Sever Spirit, True Sword
Chalana Arroy: Heal Body
etc

Sacrificed power is available to be used as a pool for that cult. So the same spell can be used multiple times. Each point sacrificed unlocks a new spell.
Baroness Ivarenna Hainasdaughter of the Balmyr
Initiate of Orlanth
Ten-thane in the Eleven Lights
Brear Hofarson

Post by Brear Hofarson »

Quatlu wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:22 pm Judging by the lack of responses and/or comments to this pre-orders query, I presume that the answer is that it is a topic that is either already factored into the game or that it simply doesn't matter in this venue. I humbly withdraw the question.
Quatlu, my dear friend,

You're in luck!! As it so happens I do have a few magic items at hand that I can let you have for a most reasonable price, how does that grab you?!

To clarify, they're mostly of a healing / protection nature BUT at least that's better than nothing eh, a start, a step on the road to greater things....yes, I can let you have any of the following -

Chalana Arroy Lucky Defence Charm : These little beauties are shaped in the image of the Blessed Mother herself and come with either a silver chain so that the charm can be worn around the neck, tucked under a breastplate, tunic etc or in the form of a silver bracelet with a carving of Chalana Arroy etched into the metal. Cousin Broar wore one when he went to the Front with the Tribal Levy early in his career and later when he was a member of Mularik's Company and he came back totally unscathed. Normal price 150 lunars each, to you a mere 100 lunars (33% saving!)

Broar the Benevolent Backpack - A beautiful leather backpack that will hold a variety of items but also alerts the wearer to danger from behind by the medium of Mindlink magic that is woven into the lining. A further benefit is that the sturdiness of the leather (it's made out of Tusker skin) can stop an arrow or a crossbow bolt will relative ease, that is what Broar told me and he says he took two of them with him on his recent Hero Quest to obtain the head of the King of the Broos. Since he is now the King of the Broos, clearly that speaks volumes for the authenticity and value of such a marvellous item. Normal price 200 lunars, selling to a fine chap like you for an almost unbelievable 125 lunars!!

Eurmalian War Frog - This little critter may look like a crude model of a frog made out of common mud and then simply baked in an oven to give it some substance, however it is, in fact, probably one of the handiest things you could have in your possession at a moment of extreme peril, no, honestly, it is. All the owner need do is just chuck the frog onto the floor, say the magic word, and it will transform into a giant-sized War Frog, complete with spikey skin (some say as tough as iron!) and a vicious tongue attack that can poison any enemies. Let it do the fighting for you while you sit back and watch the fun. Normal price 350 lunars, as we're pals I'll let you have it for just 200 lunars - call me crazy there as I'm losing 150 lunars but that's what mates are for, after all.

Pop along and see me when you get back from the Front and we can sort out which of the above you'd like. Each one comes with a guarantee that should they fail to function or deliver complete satisfaction or contribute in any way to the untimely demise of the owner a full refund will be available upon demand.

All the best,

Brear Hofarson
High Priest of Cult Broar the Benevolent
Initiate of Chalana Arroy
Lay member of Eurmal
Saviour of Boldhome