Shields

Ivarenna

Shields

Post by Ivarenna »

As well as expertise in Sword, Spear and Axe, how about expertise in Shield too?

Or is the expertise in Sword effectively expertise in the use of Sword with a Shield?
Baroness Ivarenna Hainasdaughter of the Balmyr
Initiate of Orlanth
Ten-thane in the Eleven Lights
Erik

Re: Shields

Post by Erik »

The original En Garde is set in Paris in the 17th Century, a period when shields were no longer really used, and certainly not during duels. We have moved it to Glorantha and I agree, shields would seem to fit with the setting. However, how could we introduce them without making too much work for the GM?
One possibility is giving a minus to the duelling ability for someone who's weapon skill was lower than the opponent's shield skill (and a bonus if higher). But would it add enough to the game?
Ivarenna

Post by Ivarenna »

Erik wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:49 pm The original En Garde is set in Paris in the 17th Century, a period when shields were no longer really used, and certainly not during duels. We have moved it to Glorantha and I agree, shields would seem to fit with the setting. However, how could we introduce them without making too much work for the GM?
One possibility is giving a minus to the duelling ability for someone who's weapon skill was lower than the opponent's shield skill (and a bonus if higher). But would it add enough to the game?
It sort of fits in with the combat system which has an attacker and a defender. Maybe when you're defending you use your shield expertise rather than your main weapon. Thematically, as you point out, it makes sense. I think the main reason for doing it would be flavour. Not sure how much work it would be.
Baroness Ivarenna Hainasdaughter of the Balmyr
Initiate of Orlanth
Ten-thane in the Eleven Lights
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Sounds like a lot of work for only a small gain in flavour. Use of shields can already be assumed to be a factor in determining campaign battle outcomes. Likewise, an appropriate shield can be assumed to be used in duels (and armour too) - unless there is a societal convention against forms of protection. The choice the duellist would have to make would be what weapon they took.

If you want to get technical, spear is a proper weapon. Swords are sidearms, more convenient but decidedly inferior to a spear in a battle (think of a Webley 0.455 revolver and a Lee Enfield SMLE rifle) . Of course, if you are Clint Eastwood/Man with No Name in "a fistful of dollars", then a pistol can beat a rifle! :D .
Baron Rufus Bronzer
Clansman of the proud Kheldon Tribe -This small but very wealthy urban clan is the "most noble" clan of Sartar - but the wealth seems to have passed me by.
Warlord Mularik's Company Orlanth Initiate
Chieftain's son.
grumbold99

Post by grumbold99 »

I can see it being interesting to have different approaches to training up skills if we had a shield stat and a weapon stat in play for duels. That said, duelling has been very uncommon so far. It currently feels like a lot of work defining a balanced and fun system for little gain.
Grumbold Rahlefson of the Locaem

Scrawny tow-headed beanpole of a lad; usually complaining about the cold, the damp, the pollen or the heat.
Proprietor of Silks and Sapphires. Conspicuously buy your apparel here!
Hundred-Thane of the Royal Foot Guard.