Loremaster's Guild

An OOC part of the forum. IC posts will be deleted.
Fionn

Loremaster's Guild

Post by Fionn »

There is apparently a Loremaster's Guild in Boldhome, but it is so secret that nobody knows anything about it :) .

Now Fionn is rising in the Lhankor Mhy cult, I feel this would be a good time to suggest some possible rules. My own view would be that it should be open to anyone who has taught others (i.e. at the Military Academy, Merchants Guild or cult studies), but the details would need some working out. Does anyone have any other ideas? The idea of asking now is to collect as many suggestions as possible before any decision needs to be made.
Fionn the dagger, Hundred-Thane and scholar.
Fionn

Re: Loremaster's Guild

Post by Fionn »

Now Fionn is a God-talker of Lhankor Mhy, I have to ask; what are the effects of joining the Loremasters Guild?
Puckohue
GM

Post by Puckohue »

Yes, teaching is one way, producing knowledge is another. I’ll steal something from Liminal En Garde’s rules on Royal Society and post here soon.
Puckohue
GM

Post by Puckohue »

Comments welcome

Loremasters Guild

The patron of the guild is Tosti Runefriend.

Being a member of the guild costs 20 Lunars per turn and gives 3 CPs.

In week 4 of Late Sea Seaon each year, Tosti Runefriend arranges a guild gathering at The Storm Cloud, paying all carousing costs. All guild members may attend with their lovers and may attempt to attract Tosti's notice, with the Guild Master getting a +1 modifier to do so.

To join, a character must have
  1. taught at one of Boldhome's academies (assisting is not enough).
    and/or
  2. presented an accepted thesis (see below).
Research
A member of the Lhankor Mhy cult may submit a thesis on a subject of their choosing concerning an observation, experiment, or invention.

A total of 4 weeks must be spent in research for, and writing of, the thesis. These weeks do not have to be in the same turn.

A summary of the thesis must be published in The Boldhome Crier.

All guild members vote yes or no on the quality of the thesis (members may not vote on their own theses). All player characters may use influence on the outcome.

A roll of 6 on 1D6 is needed for the thesis to be accepted, with the following modifiers:
  • +1 for each level of influence used in favor
  • -1 for each level of influence used against
  • +1 for each player character member voting “yea”
  • -1 for each player character member voting “nay”
Each accepted thesis earns the character 1 CP/turn for as long as they remain a guild member.

Loremasters Guildmaster
(Master of the Loremasters Guild? Head of the Loremasters Guild? Head of the Guild of Loremasters? Master of the Head of Guildlores?)

An appointment:
  • Must be a Lhankor Mhy Rune-Lord or higher.
  • Must be a member of the guild.
  • CHA 10+
  • Appointed by Tosti Runefriend.
  • CP gain: 6
  • Influence gained: 7
  • 1D6 to get appointment: 7
  • Pay: 20 Lunars.
  • Must arrange a gathering for all guild members once per Period (except Spring), at their inn, paying all carousing costs. Failure to do so incurs a NiS.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

I like the sound of theses (I expect them to be spell formulae rather than scientific experiments); but perhaps the teaching side needs some tweaking. The Military Academy fits well: the Merchant Academy less so, unless/until it is put more on the new lines. But cult teaching is really not amenable to this sort of assesment, and surely esoteric lore is more about quests than POW increase. I suggest that anyone who gets a 1 or 2 result on a Heroquest (maybe as deputy leader or above if you wish to reduce numbers) is eligible to be a Loremaster.

And the Guildmaster (Ipsissimus?) is not well-rewarded. Someone with Cha 10 who can influence a member of the Royal Court would expect more than 6 CP, surely. Perhaps the post could allow access to Court?
Puckohue
GM

Post by Puckohue »

I've updated the Trade School and given Guild Masters court access.